This weekend I am busy working. This combined with looking children, attending to housework keeps life pretty busy. Although I always find time to do some reading in the morning when I wake up and in the evening before going to sleep. This year I have decided to live a more balanced life and take care of my overall wellbeing. As part of my Wellness Plan I wrote a goal for getting enough sleep. Life gets very busy and it is tempting to sacrifice the amount of sleep I get, not getting enough sleep makes my thinking cloudy and myself more emotionally susceptible to stress and anxiety. So for this post I have included my goal on sleep and the actions steps I am working on to achieve getting enough sleep each night.
Goal: I feel better, more in control of my emotions, more able to work with focus and think with clarity now that I am getting 8 hours of sleep 6 out 7 nights per week.
- Exercise during the day; go for a walk, ride the bike, go to the gym for 30-60 minutes.
- Finish eating two-three hours before bedtime.
- Plan and attend to chores for the next day after tea at 7PM(get everything organized early.)
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol 2-3 hours before bed, e.g. have an herbal tea or water
- Create a relaxing bed time routine 1 hour before bed time, slow down read a book or listen to some music.
- Sleep in a comfortable environment, a comfortable bed, mattress and pillow.
- Allow one night a week for night out and socializing however aim for a minimum of 6 hours sleep.
- Establish a sleep and wake routine. I will make it a priority to be in bed at 10:30 PM-06:30AM
- Record time to bed and time up daily in diary, and evaluate plan for areas of success, and areas of weakness and make adjustments.
Some of these action steps I am still working on, like I still love having a cup of tea before bedtime. Much better at getting to bed by 10:30 PM and reading instead of TV before bed time. Although I think my bed is far too comfortable and this makes it difficult to want to get up.
My question for you to ponder on today is are you getting enough sleep? If not what action steps could you take to get enough sleep?